Do you love Colombian facts? Do the fun facts about Colombia intrigue you? Check out these great facts about the national flower of Columbia, Columbian emeralds, and Columbia’s most popular sport. It is one of the best places to find interesting facts about the 2nd most biodiverse country.
ColombIA FACTS FOR KIDS
- Colombia, officially the Republic of Colombia, is a country in South America with insular regions in North America and the Pacific Ocean.
- The Venezuelan, Ecuadorian and Colombian flag are similar because, between 1822 to 1830, the three were one single country called Gran Colombia.
- Colombia is the second most biodiverse country in the world, after only Brazil, which is ten times larger.
- Although the Spanish language is the official language of Colombia, it has 65 indigenous languages.
- Colombia is the most populous nation in Spanish-speaking South America and the third in Latin America, after Brazil and Mexico.
- There are 18 Colombian holidays per year; the only country with more national holidays is India.
- The Colombian national anthem plays twice a day in public television and radio stations, according to the Colombian government.
- It has the highest amount of species by area worldwide, including more bird species than all of Europe and North America combined.
- In 2013, Medellin, the second-largest city of Colombia, was named the most innovative city.
- 35% of Colombia’s territory is part of the Amazon rainforest, with a total area of 248,000 square miles.
- Tena emerald, the most valuable emerald in the world, was found in Muzo, Colombia, in 1999.
- The country has 59 national parks and protected areas, which span a total of 77,220 sq miles, so one-sixth of Colombia’s land mass.
BONUS ColombIA FACTS FOR KIDS
- Cattleya trianae orchid species, often called the “May flower” or “May lily,” has been the national flower of Colombia since 1936.
- Colombian emeralds are natural resources found in the Eastern Ranges of the Colombian Andes mountains; Colombia also has natural gas reserves.
- Colombia’s most popular sport is football, also known as soccer, which is very different than the national sport of tejo.
- Colombia’s capital city is Bogota at 1640 square kilometers and is the third of the highest capital cities in South America.
- Santa Marta is a port city of the Caribbean Sea located in the northern Colombian department of Magdalena. It was the first Spanish settlement in Colombia.
- Colombia has 95 varieties of tropical fruits.
- Colombia’s rainy season is usually from June to mid-November.
This article contains affiliate links.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR COLOMBIA FACTS COLORING SHEETS
These Colombia fun facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
This pdf file includes two coloring sheets loaded with fun facts about Colombia that you don’t want to miss. Print as many sets as needed and give them to friends or family!
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE COLOMBIA FACTS PDF FILE
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
What was your favorite Colombia fact?