This easy homemade caramel sauce recipe has 5 simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge! This easy caramel recipe is a creamy, buttery homemade caramel sauce that has SO many yummy uses. Use this caramel sauce to top your favorite latte, make caramel apples, top a sundae or even serve over your favorite dessert!
Easy Caramel Sauce Recipe
It isn’t fall without the sweet and tangy combination of apples and caramel sauce! Once you see how simple it is to make your own rich and creamy caramel sauce at home, you’ll never buy it in the store again!
This easy caramel sauce recipe:
- Makes 2 ½ cups
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
This post contains affiliate links.
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Caramel Sauce
Instructions to Make Homemade Caramel Sauce
In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, salt and heavy whipping cream.
Bring to boil and cook stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Let cool slightly.
Add to jar or container with lid.
How to Serve Homemade Caramel Sauce
Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in airtight sealed container.
How to Re-Heat Caramel Sauce
To reheat, cook for 30 seconds in a microwave safe bowl. Stir and heat for an additional 10 seconds or longer if necessary.
The Best way to store homemade caramel sauce
For optimum freshness, store caramel sauce in an airtight container (a mason jar is perfect) in the fridge.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE CARAMEL SAUCE KEEP FOR?
Caramel sauce will keep for up to two weeks if it has been refrigerated.
Is Caramel gluten free or dairy free?
This caramel sauce recipe IS gluten free! Just double check that your vanilla extract is gluten free. Always check ingredient labels to be safe.
If you want to make dairy free caramel sauce, replace traditional butter with a vegan butter, and swap out the heavy cream for a vegan option, like Silk dairy free heavy whipping cream.
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, salt and heavy whipping cream.
- Bring to boil and cook stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Let cool slightly.
- Add to jar or container with lid.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in airtight sealed container.
- To reheat, cook for 30 seconds in a microwave safe bowl. Stir and heat for an additional 10 seconds or longer if necessary.
Best Recipes To Top With Homemade caramel Sauce
Here are some of our favorite drinks and dishes that are made WAY better with a buttery caramel sauce topping:
What is the first thing you are going to top with your homemade caramel sauce?